Gum disease is often thought of as an adult dental issue, but children can be vulnerable to this also. The definition of gum disease is a bacterial infection in your gums and surrounding areas of the tooth. It is typically caused by plaque that has bacteria that adhere to the tooth. This is due to poor oral hygiene and usually can be avoided by brushing, flossing, and visiting a dentist regularly. At Shoal Creek, the best pediatric dentist in Clay County, we are dedicated to providing and teaching fantastic oral hygiene to your children.
Who’s at Risk?
There are risk factors that make your child more likely to experience gum disease. Those include:
- Sticky foods that get stuck to the surface of your teeth, such as candy
- Mouth breathing
- Eating junk food that causes teeth to decay
- Use of tobacco products
- Autoimmune diseases
- Puberty or fluctuation of hormones
- Clinching or teeth grinding
- Family genetics that have a predisposition to gum disease
How Do I Know If My Child Has Gum Disease?
Gum Disease can usually be seen with the naked eye, and parents can often identify the onset of this dental disease. The best pediatric dentist in Clay County suggests if you start to notice your child having pain in their teeth and redness, this could be a sign. Here are some other common warning signs:
- Pus in-between teeth
- Bad Breath
- Gums receding from teeth
- Red Gums
- Bleeding of the gums, even with a light brushing
What Do I Do Next?
My child has been diagnosed with gum disease by a pediatric dental specialist in Clay County. How is it treated? A dentist can treat this dental disease in a few common ways.
- Regular cleanings with a pediatric dental specialist in Clay County.
- Gum Scaling and Root Planing- This is a process of removing plaque and tartar from under the gums.
- Antibiotics administered right into the tooth pockets or by mouth in pill form.
- Surgery-this is the last resort and used only in advanced cases of gum disease. Surgery is used to replace tissue that has been damaged by the disease.
At Shoal Creek, the best pediatric dentist in Clay County, our fantastic staff trained to treat all areas of your child’s pediatric dental concerns. Give us a call at 816-781-5437 or visit our website to see all the benefits that having a pediatric dentist for your child offers.